To nutritional experts, added sugar is believed to be the single worst ingredient in the modern diet. This comes as no surprise since added sugar is known for providing calories with no added nutrients and can actually damage your metabolism over time. Eating excessive amounts of added sugar have been linked to several diseases such as type II diabetes, obesity, and heart disease.
In this article we are going to discuss the difference between added sugars and natural sugars. We are also going to dive into what a safe amount of sugar consumption is for your nutrition plan.
Added vs Natural Sugars
Before we dive into sugar consumption, we first have to distinguish what the difference is between added sugar and naturally occurring sugars. There is a BIG difference between them.
- Naturally occurring sugars are those found in fruits and vegetables. Natural sugars are safe to consume since they come accompanied with fiber, vitamins, minerals, and phytochemicals that promote health and wellness.
- Added sugars on the other hand are those that are not naturally occurring and are added into foods (ex table sugar, high fructose corn syrup etc.) Typically added sugars are those found in processed foods.
How Much Added Sugar is Safe to Eat?
According to the American Heart Association the maximum amount of added sugars you should eat in a day are:
Men: 37.5 grams
Women: 25 grams
*Keep in mind that this is the amount for added sugar NOT natural sugars.
Here at No Bull Nutrition we are all for enjoying your favorite treats every now and then. But isugt is important that you continue to follow the 80/20 rule. We want the majority (80-85%) of the foods we consume to come from whole, nutrient dense sources. This leaves about 20-15% for you to do with as you please.
Next time you are tracking your food intake, take a peak at how much added sugar you consumed for the day. If it exceeds the prescribed amount, try making some different food choices in the future.
1. Sugar 101. (n.d.). Retrieved May 25, 2016, from http://www.heart.org/HEARTORG/HealthyLiving/HealthyEating/Nutrition/Sugar-101_UCM_306024_Article.jsp#.V0XoRWZ96V5
Stephanie Young and No Bull Nutrition