Your Scores Go On The Board!

478460_4897890697367_1515954709_oYou guys hear me say that at the end of every class. Most are happy to oblige. Some, however, are reluctant. Without getting too preachy, here are a few reasons why it’s so important to me.

1. Record Keeping – Writing it on the board will help you remember to write it in your journal. This is incredibly important on Strength and Benchmark WOD days to track your progress.

2. Goal Setting – You see someone on the board who edges you out most WODs. Today is the day you’re gonna catch’em. It’s much easier to set a goal when you can see something tangible (Thanks 6AMers for setting the bar everyday!)

3. Pride – You completed a CrossFit WOD today. That’s more than most people can say. Be proud of that, no matter if your score was 5 minutes or 50 minutes, 60 pounds or 600 pounds, you pushed yourself closer to reaching your fitness goals.

Have another reason why you like scores posted? Comment!!

TODAY: THURS, MAY 2, 2013

10 ROUNDS FOR TIME

10 GOBLET LUNGES (5 per leg)

10 STRAIGHT-LEG TOE TOUCH SIT UPS

10 CLAPPING PUSH UPS

12 Responses to Your Scores Go On The Board!

1. Kelly says:

At first I didn’t write my scores because I was too embarrassed, but I now realize that it is helpful to EVERYONE from the strongest-fastest to the newcomer to see the range of abilities. Some days a score just stinks. Get over it. If you are writing your score on the board and it stinks because you didn’t give it everything, then you will bust your butt next time, knowing you should have tried harder. If you write it on the board, it stinks, and you gave it your all, you can still be proud–you finished.

2. Dan says:

Lloyd is pissed! You better write your score down! I second everything he says though.

3. Carmin Aguilar says:

It’s not that I don’t want them up because I like posting up my score, I just simply forget.

4. Rosalyn says:

Well, as for me I don’t have a problem writing my scores on the board, because I like to put my situation, good or bad, on blast to see how I stack up. However, I must to say that discouraging athletes from writing their scores on the due to “poor performance”, as some have shared with me personally, is a show of poor leadership and weak character. I used to hate coming in everyday and looking at the board, because I used to compare myself to other elite athletes and shame myself for not getting as good a score as they did. I got over that shame by using those scores as goals, a place to strive to, or a measuring tool for the level I’m striving for. Yeah, it kills me that I missed beating the next chick by a few seconds or minutes, but I’m motivated and encouraged my being able to even keep up. Plus, know that next time I’ll smoke her and the WOD. And if I don’t… well, you live to WOD another day, because I’m doing better than most women my age just by putting forth the effort.

5. Elysia says:

Of the three, Pride is the only real reason I put my name and score on the board. (The Record keeping I agree with, but I keep my own log book). Another reason I do, not mentioned but maybe the most important for me, is Community. The feeling of individual accomplishment, along with knowing that accomplishment was shared by so many others doing the same, is really powerful for me. I’m really only competing against myself during the WODs. I’m not saying competition’s not important and fun — I’m just not finding it to be something I focus on during daily WODs. During daily WODs there are so many variables — some rx, some scale and often scale in various ways (weight, reps, bands, etc). Plus, we’re counting our own reps. Under duress. Other stuff may vary — some may start out doing strict Push ups and switch to knees or hand release halfway through, while others don’t. So comparing myself to others doesn’t motivate or matter to me so much in this milieu. (That would be different for stuff like CF Games, etc.)

6. Kerri says:

Lloyd will hunt you down in the parking lot. Writing on the board means I can still utilize hand/eye coordination after the WOD and therefore am safe to drive. So in effect, Lloyd is helping all the other Woodbridge drivers stay safe. Thanks, Lloyd!

7. tassha says:

Not to change topic but I think the question we all want to know is, when do Lauren and Sara get a Bio up on this site?? Let’s make them…wait for it………LEGIT!

8. MrsBull says:

Can’t take credit for this but thought it was spot on…
    “I would suggest using the whiteboard as a tool to learn more about yourself and your mental game. The whiteboard is simply used by the CrossFit Community as an open journal to display information. It is another distinction that sets us apart from Globo Gyms. CrossFitters should learn to embrace the whiteboard and all the markings that are temporarily posted on its glossy surface. So, use the whiteboard. Get outside of your comfort zone. Become comfortable with the uncomfortable. The infamous CrossFit Whiteboard likely enhances your performance more than it hinders it…and by the way, it isn’t going anywhere.”